Presented by the SI350 Education Committee and the Alice Austen House Museum.
We received over 100 entries from Staten Island's youth.
Winning photos were published in our Commemorative Staten Island 350 Calendar.
We are pleased to announce the youth winners are:
Theme: Politics and Civic Life
Haley Chapan, age 9
Theme: Education / Health
Staten Island Zoo
Max Saenz, age 7
Staten Island Bridge
from inside Fort Wadsworth
Matthew Schroeder,age 9
And the youth runner-ups are:
Theme: Architecture / Education
Tottenville Public Library
Ashley Mazzola-Ciriello, age 16
Midland Beach Veterans Memorial
Christina Camanelli, age 16
St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church
Matti Angelides, age 8
The contest awards will be presented to the above during the
Staten Island 350th Birthday Party at the Staten Island Children's Museum
on Saturday, February 12th, 2011.
We would like to thank our contest judges (Jeff Mason, Jimi Iannizzotto, J. Fred Rodriguez, Lori Weintrob, and Marianne Troia). Additionally, we would like to thank our contest administrator, Johnny J. Chin of J.Chin Photography, and Onesimus Enterprises for building the online systems that were used for this digital photo contest.
- Open to all Staten Island students in grades 2 through 12
and now open to all Staten Island residents age 18 and over
- Find a designated si350 site from our history trail page. Please note the theme in which the historic site is listed under.
- Take a photo of the site and compose the photo to include a human interest element in the photo (family, friends, pets, theme-related objects or costume, etc.). The photo entries will be judged on the originality of the composition of the photo, so creativity and artistic skills are encouraged.
- Each entry must also include a fact (historical or significant) about the site that you learned in 100 words or less. Accuracy and relevance will be considered.
- Color and black & white photos are accepted.
- Deadline Extended Until: Sunday, November 14th, 2010 at 11:59pm EST
CONTEST CLOSED - thank you for your entries; please look for our future contests.
- By submitting your entries, students
(and their family) understand and agree that si350 has unlimited rights
to publish, print, show and exhibit all entries without compensation.
All entries will be the property of si350 and may be used in future promotional materials.
Rules & Regulations:
- Photo must be an original JPEG
- Use of another person’s photo is strictly prohibited
- Minimum of 1800 x 1200 pixels (image resolution)
- Maximum of 10MB (file size)
- Must have original EXIF data and camera meta data
- No editing except for cropping and image resizing
- Photo composites will be disqualified
- Entries must arrive in the submission mailbox by the deadline; entries arriving after the deadline time would be automatically disqualified
- If your entry is selected for publication in the Staten Island 350th Commemorative Calendar, a release form from each person in the photo (or their parent/guardian) will be required; so only submit photos with people you know
How to Submit Your Entries:
Entries must to be emailed to the appropriate e-mail address, depending on the theme of the photo entry:
Entries must arrive in the submission mailbox by the deadline set forth above.
| Theme Category
|| Submissions E-Mail Address
|| contest350sites-transportation @si350.org
| contest350sites-education @si350.org
| contest350sites-business @si350.org
| contest350sites-ethnicity @si350.org
|| contest350sites-food @si350.org
|| contest350sites-arts @si350.org
|| contest350sites-sports @si350.org
| contest350sites-environment @si350.org
|| contest350sites-politics @si350.org
|| contest350sites-architecture @si350.org
|| contest350sites-military @si350.org
|| contest350sites-religion @si350.org
The Subject of the email message must be in the format:
student's age - entrant’s full name
"adult" - entrant’s full name
The body of the message must include (in the following format using separate lines):
Your full name:
Age: (not applicable to non-students)
School: (not applicable to non-students)
Grade & Class: (not applicable to non-students)
Teacher: (not applicable to non-students)
Contact Phone Number:
Location of Photo Taken:
Historical or Significant Fact of Site:
The photo must be attached to the e-mail with the image filename formatted as follows:
age-school-class-your_fullname.JPG (substitute underscores for spaces)
adult-your_fullname.JPG (substitute underscores for spaces)
Three Grand Prize Student Winners
Three Runner-Up Student Winners
One Grand Prize Adult Winner
Selected entries will be published in the Staten Island 350th Commemorative Calendar. If your entry is selected, a release form from each person in the photo will be required. If you are unable to provide a release form for any person in the photo, your photo will be disqualified.
If you have any questions, email contest350sites-info @ si350.org
CONTEST CLOSED - please look for our future contests.